Music Banter - View Single Post - Will Biden be another one term president?
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2021, 03:18 PM   #97 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^Yes I wonder why she's not keen as well. There could be many reasons linked to her personality, that fact that she is being "kept out of the loop", etc. Being embarrassed about Biden's legacy is certainly one possible reason, but hardly the only one.
sure, i don't disagree

Quote:
And what exactly is there here to be ashamed of:-
tbh i haven't been following it closely but that list is too vague for me to comment. Maybe you can list something specific you think is a big benefit or something. It's possible i give him too little credit as a function of just not paying attention. But what i have heard has sounded pretty underwhelimng.

Also, with the executive orders it was probably a bunch of reversals of Trump executive orders which can them be reversed again when a republican gets in... Those things are becoming pretty cheap.

As for the Obama comparison... The first 2 years of Obama weren't good at all. He inherited a ****show etc sure but either way the Dems lost hard in 2010. So I'm not sure that's such a high bar...

Quote:
Not my fault that the US effectively only has 2 parties, and in fact I have asked before why there isn't a third party in US politics, as there is in many democratic countries.
well, one reason is that the lesser of two evils logic employed by the two parties always discourages any sort of schism that could inadvertantly benefit the other side.

That's what i mean by it not really being a choice. And i didn't say that was your fault either lol. Just fundamentally we are constricted, if we take your claim about the nature of the two parties, to just keep voting blue. That's not a choice. We'd be equally served by a one party state that the Democrats controlled. Actually we'd be better served because we wouldn't have to worry every time an election comes up that the voters wouldn't swing one way or another. If it's a clear choice between good and bad then what is the utility in making that choice every 2-4 years?

Quote:
Is the bit in bold really "according to me"? Isn't there sufficient evidence now that the GOP are:-
i) installing partisan officials in whatever electorial position they can
ii) repressing voting by reducing ballot boxes among other sim disincentives
iii) encouraging their supporters to intimidate electoral officials who don't follow the GOP party line
iii) not accepting the 2020 election result despite Bill Barr, 60 courts and (I think) the FBI saying there's no evidence of fraud.
iv) downplaying or covering up an attempted coup on and about Jan 6th
v) supporting the instigator of the coup, perhaps as candidate in the next Presidential election
when i say according to you i meant more the bit about the Democrats being saviors of democracy. I do agree about the Republicans.

Quote:
Also not my fault if "Democracy or not?" is a pretty binary question. The Dems have done very few of the above, so yeah, I'd say they come across as the saviours of democracy, even if that democracy isn't "full" according to world rankings.
ah see i don't think just not engaging in fascism makes you worthy of the title savior of democracy

Last edited by jwb; 12-24-2021 at 03:32 PM.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote