Music Banter - View Single Post - Joe Biden Love Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2021, 05:53 PM   #193 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
I'm not sure where you got that, I mean in looking back at historical instances of pandemics people tend to be pretty irresponsible and have little patience for being told to do things. In this instance there's right wing conspiracy theories about masks and vaccines but historically speaking people are being as dumb as they tend to be.

Quote:
I know asking you people to explain yourselves is a useless endeavor but if you don't mind explaining "secret fascist" or whatever you're calling me, it would help.
If you're just using this post to respond to all of the posts criticizing you then that's kind of schizophrenic cause I never called you cryptofascist. I just said your phrasing of new generations being weak cause they're comfortable while older generations being strong cause they had hardship was a simplistic right wing idea.

I then explained that it was the WW2 generation who gave up their union militancy for a welfare state (private and public) that gave them pensions, minimum wage, legally recognized unions, social security, etc. Meaning that it wasn't the weakness of later generations of workers that gave into comfort but an original sin of a militant working class who capitulated to the false promises of capitalism.

Quote:
The comfort the Liberal Democracy provides gives way to Fascism. Because most basic needs are taken care of, and the tribalism needs to go somewhere. If Europe isn't going to let us World War our way out of this, the general "I don't read books" crowd is going to think we need a civil war because:
  • Transwomen are playing sports
  • Fauci is trying to microchip us
  • The Deep State stopped JFK Jr. from come back from the dead
  • 5G
  • Trump telling Candice Owens people going to the hospital aren't vaccinated
This is wrongheaded because the comfort given by liberal democracy was given when WW2 gave America half of the world's wealth and once Europe had been rebuilt after the Marshall Plan and China and Japan became industrial power houses that all undercut America's hegemony and neoliberalism and a falling rate of profit in the 70s brought the agreement between a weakened US labor movement into conflict with the profits of American capital the comforts of liberal capitalist democracy became unsustainable and so the financialization of the 80s and onward tightened the belts of the working class more and more and more as decades went on, stagnation of wages and such, so that basic needs were met ever less and less.

That is what leads to fascism. The upper classes consolidate more and more and the middle class becomes ever more economically tenuous.

Quote:
If I'm wrong about comfort leading to what we have here, I'm willing to listen. But I need to know how a bunch of people in the Rust Belt choose the party of Corporate Tax Breaks over...I don't know, any other candidate.
Do you think that the rust belt has the same level of comfort as the 50s? There's a reason they call it the rust belt.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.

Last edited by The Batlord; 12-26-2021 at 06:21 PM.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote