Music Banter - View Single Post - News From Planet Trollheart
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2022, 10:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default A Brief and Very Boring History of My Journals; The Coming of the Mega-Journal!

Note: This was not feasible so I'm dropping the idea. I'll spoiler it so if anyone wants to read what I'm ranting on about they can. But it no longer applies.
Spoiler for Seemed like a good idea at the time...:

I started my first journal almost as soon as I arrived here in 2008. This was, and pretty much remains, the only forum where such a thing was possible. You can make threads and call them journals on other forums, but this is the only one I've ever seen with a dedicated journals section. After a few years my journal became two, as I broke outside the music barrier and explored television, then comics (shut up, Batty), then other subjects, especially history. As of now, I have about 20 currently running, with another ten-plus coming later in the year.

Why should you care? You probably shouldn't, however my exuberance and prolific (which is not to say good) output has led to my rather emulating the red weed from H.G. Wells's The War of the Worlds, as it snakes out and takes over the journal section, displacing the journals of others, pushing them aside and down the page each time I update.

This is not a good situation.

So I have decided, in concert with the mods, to tackle the problem by the introduction of - da da da daaaaah! - the Mega-Journal!

Duh? Well basically it's an overblown way of saying that I will be getting all my journals merged together soon, into a handful of larger "master journals", all under the same loose theme. So the most obvious of those would be the histories I've been doing of England, Ireland and the USA, with maybe the Old West and global exploration thrown in too. These journals will then be merged into one, which will be annotated and indexed so you can find what you want easily, with updates posted as they're done and links here to direct you.

My newer ones, then, will each be appended to whichever mega-journal they are appropriate to, and the relevant details added. Update links will be provided here each time I post a new article to one of the journals.

It probably doesn't mean much to you as a reader, but as a writer of other journals it will at least mean you won't feel like Han and Luke and Chewy and Leia as the walls closed in on them, feeling like you're being crushed, moved aside or elbowed out of the way.

The new mega-journals will be going up soon, and Frownland has kindly agreed to merge any existing journals into whichever mega-journal I request, after which there will be no need for this to be done, as I can just add as I go along. Some journals will remain "independent", as it were, either because they don't fit in with any others or they've been going too long and are read more than others. Whatever, I don't know: working on it still.

So basically, if you're reading one of my journals (why?) and it suddenly seems to disappear, it hasn't: it will just have been transferred to and merged with one of the mega-journals, which is where you will then find it from then on.

Look, I'm sure the response from 99% of you will be "go **** yourself", and that's fine, but for the few who want to know, now you do.

Last edited by Trollheart; 01-24-2022 at 02:34 PM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote