Music Banter - View Single Post - The Criterion Channel
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2022, 12:51 AM   #45 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Symbiopsychotaxiplasm: Part One - A documentary about a documentary of the making of a film. Obviously the most reflexive film ever made. Also pretty rare to find such a literally experimental film in that the director appears to be conducting a social experiment about his role in film here. There are a few points where I have contention with the camerawork and acting, but the form makes you question whether that's genuine or scripted or somewhere in between. Pretty ****ing groundbreaking all things considered (like the 1968 release date), but also not as enjoyable as I wanted. Maybe that's meant to put you the mindset of the crew, but my rating is centreing in on a 7.5/10.

Pretty stoked to finally get around to some Melvin Van Peebles releases this month. My eyes are on Watermelon Man and Sweet Sweetback's Badassssss Song but Imma try to catch all of the ones they've added.

Also after hearing that Godard might have a new movie out, I'm gonna start going through his filmography available on Criterion.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote