Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's Album Discography Reviews: Genesis
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2022, 05:17 PM   #52 (permalink)
Queen Boo
From beyooond the graaave

Honestly I think the first side of Genesis s/t is fantastic and it's the best pop music the trio ever did. Mama deserves it's reputation as the best single to come out of the Phil era, just everything from the atmosphere and production to the way it builds and builds leading into the most intense vocal performance Phil has ever done. That's All may be an easy listening pop song but it's a great easy listening pop song, it's even the song that got me into Genesis in the first place so I have a sentimental attachment to it I admit. And finally Home by the Sea/Second Home by the Sea is one excellent last jab at that prog rock/new wave sweet spot they found with Duke.

I agree that side B is a huge letdown, I wouldn't say any of the tracks are bad except Illegal Alien which is the most embarrassing "WTF" moment of their entire career and why anyone thought opening up the second side with THAT was a good idea I will never know, there had to be cocaine involved, the rest is decent but nothing special, if the rest of the album was as strong as those first 4 tracks it could have been in the same league as Duke, perhaps even better.

Anyway you have my condolences when the time comes for you to do Calling All Stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
A whole bunch of stupid sh*t that I regret

Last edited by Queen Boo; 02-02-2022 at 05:44 PM.
Queen Boo is offline   Reply With Quote