Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Album Club 2022
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2022, 10:11 AM   #21 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

YO! Wake up over there!
How about some more albums, y'all? Huh? Huh?

Anyway, my thoughts on SGR's pick:

First, the bad/annoying news. I'm boycotting Spotify so went with RS's suggestion of Amazon Music. Just guess which is the only FOTN album they ****ing don't have? So thanks for the YT link SGR.

I love the atmospheric opening, reminds me in ways of the opening to Marillion's Brave (though different) and then once it gets going I have to say I'm really, really enjoying this. I had no real idea what to expect (once I got over the confusion with Napalm Death!) but this is great. I love "At the Gates of Silent Memory". The singer's voice is gravelly as a death metal or doom metal one, but completely understandable. The music rocks, great energy about it, and even the shorter tracks like "Paradise (Regained)" are really speaking to me.

There's some superb work on the guitar here and I love his use of the talkbox, or whatever effect he's using (Plankton would know of course); the vocal is dark and oppressive and threatening, but in a really good way. I see Wiki has the band described as Gothic Rock, and I think I'd agree with that. Definitely get a sense of Sisters of Mercy crossed with The Damned at times. Also some Nick Cave. I did find myself getting a little bored with "Sumerland (What Dreams May Come)" - not that I didn't like it, but at eleven minutes it seems a little stretched and wasn't really able to keep my full attention. Still, that's the first one I haven't completely loved on the album, so not bad.

Okay well I started re-getting into it near the end, and normal service is resumed with the superbly dark "Wail of Sumer" (these are both linked to Babylonian/Sumerian myth, yes?) and the majestic grandeur of "And There Will Be Your Heart Also" which is slow and melancholy, a great closer.

Overall, pretty much loved this and would listen to more from this band. Nice one, SGR!

Rating: 9.5/10