Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Album Club 2022
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2022, 05:18 PM   #25 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Elizium by Fields of the Nephilim:

Well, Between me and TH, I think we prove that old saying, “Beauty is in the ear of the beholder“, because where TH hears beauty, I’m afraid I don’t. A completely new band to me, so I came in with zero expectations, apart from what the cover might suggest: "probably not Dolly-Parton style music."

First track: very effectively sets a mood, but also gives me a sense of foreboding: this is not a mood I particularly want to spend time in.
Second track: at least it has a faster tempo than I expected, but introduces the vocals, which I found to be the weakest aspect of the album.
Actually some of TH’s positive responses are exactly my negatives:-
Quote:
The singer's voice is gravelly as a death metal or doom metal one, but completely understandable…. the vocal is dark and oppressive and threatening…
When the vocalist took a break, I liked Gates, Sumerland and Wail of Sumer best.
For me, the lead-guitar playing was the best bit about the songs: surprisingly smooth with a hint of Pink Floyd about it, but then also there were moments when I thought, “Oh, right – that’s why I don’t bother listening to PFloyd any more.” I think that feeling surfaced most often when those slow, massive, drums came in, like the cue for some big stadium-rock lightshow.

The lyrics:As an atheist, I hear quite enough about god from the established religions: I am really not interested in hearing about, what exactly? Pretend, HPLovecraft gods of some kind?
Quote:
We've remedies from the ancient gods
To heal the morals of our shadow devil
Devil come to me, open up the door
Lead me Ciahra to the center of it all
It’s a bit of a cheap shot to pick on lyrics out of context, but when the singer says: "Tell me, what is reality?" I feel like replying,“It’s what happily awaits me when I can be done with all your suffocating, heavy-handed theatricality.”

My short appraisal: some very accomplished musical interludes swamped by a vocalist determined to conjure up some gloomy goth mood which I found pretty tedious. If we are giving ratings, I’ll give this 5/10, because the music is very competent throughout and because I don’t want to annoy SGR, but tbh this is not an album I would return to.