Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Album Club 2022
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2022, 07:19 AM   #33 (permalink)
rubber soul
Call me Mustard

I’m not going to get as extensive with my reviews as I did in the last album club, but be assured I’m listening to the album closely

Anyway, when I think of Goth Rock the first band that comes to mind is the Sisters of Mercy, a band I happen to like a lot. And I’ve heard these guys a little as well as they are from basically the same era, the only real difference is that the Fields of Nephilim wasn’t quite as commercially successful.

Anyway, on the album. It has the standard opening you might expect from a goth album but then it gets into the real darkness that is For Her Light. A pretty good start and a good segue into the next track.

At the Gates of Silent Memory is very classical and moody sounding. I might also mention that I disagree with Trolls on the vocalist. I think Carl McCoy’s vocals are quite fine and probably better than Andrew Eldritch of the Sisters.

After the quick rocker, (Paradise Regained) we get back to the darkness in Submission. This doesn’t seem as strong to me as Silent memory. I do like the use of the wah-wah though.

Sumerland is the longest track on the album clocking in at eleven minutes and change. It also is the track that reminds me the most of Sisters of Mercy, the Goth band, besides Bauhaus, that I most use as the barometer for this genre. Maybe the most commercial track?

The album finishes off with Wail of Sumer (and ) And There Will Your Heart Be Also. I kind of skimmed through Wail of Sumer but I like the slow moodiness of the final track. It’s a good way to end what I think is a solid album overall.

Favorite tracks: At the Gates of Silent Memory, And There Will You Heart Be Also

Least favorite: Submission

Overall rating: (7.5/10) Not the first album I’d go for as a goth rock fan (which, for the record, I’m not, just a genre to enjoy from my standpoint), but definitely a decent listen. And you could do a lot worse. Good pick, SGR

The Word has spoken
rubber soul is offline   Reply With Quote