Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2022, 12:09 PM   #12838 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Boo View Post
Also the Sonic Adventure games may be janky as hell but they're still a blast to play and I will die on that hill if I have to.

Sonic Adventure 1 was originally supposed to be more of an open world RPG type game, so was Sonic 06, open world Sonic is something Sonic Team has been wanting to do for a long time but never ended up fully realizing for whatever reason. It's also something the fanbase has wanted to see for a long time and there are some interesting proof of concept fan games out there.

I don't know what to expect from Sonic Frontiers because they've revealed so little so far, I really want it to be good though.
Honestly I hated Sonic Colors. It wasn't really a 3D Sonic - mostly 2D. And it wasn't a good 2D Sonic either. Too much blocky gimmicky platforming, not enough speed and momentum. The wisps kinda sucked too.

The last great 3D Sonic game was Sonic Unleashed (360/PS3). The werehog levels weren't that bad and the speed sections both played and looked amazing. The world itself, the hubs, the music - it was all absolutely beautiful. It's perhaps my favorite 3D Sonic game in fact.

That's my brain's take on things. My heart's take on things is that Sonic Adventure 2 will always be the best one.

Honestly, I'm tired of the open world gimmick. It's really unnecessary. Breath of the Wild was wildly overrated. Gimme the old 3D zeldas over that any day. The world was massively empty, the breaking weapons sucked, the story was nearly non-existent, and it didn't have any proper dungeons. Those shrines were a poor replacement for the unforgettable dark puzzle-filled grottos you'd explore in the old Zelda games. Oh yeah, the bosses in BOTW sucked too. Just not the Zelda game for me. I'm tired of pretending that just because Nintendo tried something for the first time (an open world game), we all have to lie to ourselves and pretend that they've created this incredible and unprecedented game brimming with innovation. BOTW aint it.

If Sonic Frontiers is an incredible game though, I'd be happily surprised. I just don't see how you fit the formula of getting from point A to point B as fast as possible in the package of an open world game. I'd love to be proven wrong. Maybe the joy of Sonic isn't getting from point A to point B, but the badniks you destroy along the way...
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote