Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2022, 11:24 AM   #23947 (permalink)
jadis
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I got an email once but the general consensus I see online is that whatever company contacts your ISP provider, who does not disclose your identity to that company, and it's the ISP provider who then sends you something threatening but will just throttle your connection if they're contacted again by a company. So you're probably still safe legally unless you're doing something more than just stealing Beauty and the Beast for your own personal use.
The Man certainly didn't seem to mind when I downloaded Cocteau's 1946 film of that name!

But overall better safe than sorry. Wasn't there some story about a kid who had his life ruined because he downloaded a Nirvana song off Napster?

It also depends on where you are, what's your living situation etc. The guy who downloaded a new season of Rick and Morty was living in subsidized housing provided to postdocs and was understandably freaked out by the possibility of being penalized by the institution that hosted him cause who knows what the rules are.
jadis is offline   Reply With Quote