Music Banter - View Single Post - Social Media
Thread: Social Media
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2022, 12:06 PM   #55 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
Facebook's behaviour isn't regulated in the US alone. Its algorithms and policies change in different parts of the world and the legalities that apply there. I mean, it would be weird if a company with 300 million users in India could only be regulated from the US.

And I'm not saying I have a solution. I'm not an expert at regulating megacorps, but there are people with that skill set.

What I'm thinking from a very basic pov is that they should combat widespread, harmful falsehoods, f.ex. that the Sandy hook shooting was fake and orchestrated. You and me don't have to find the technical solution. We just hold Meta accountable for stuff they publish, more like if they were a regular media house / newspaper. Then they can spend some of their trillions of dollars towards finding a solution. I mean, if FB can't, who can?

This does tie in with algorithms as they're the ones that might grab something like fake Sandy hook news and further spread (publish) that.

I think there should be some laws for what algorithms can and can't do, think a more advanced version of Aasimov's law of robotics. Algorithms shouldn't f.ex. promote violence and various other kinds of harmful behaviour.

Some bureau, or perhaps several, should audit companies that make these codes and also test/audit their algorithms.

These are just my simpleton ideas, mind you.
Do you think the Indian government is going to crack down on anti-Muslim hate speech on Facebook? I don't think your ideas are necessarily bad, I just think they're not going to happen.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote