Music Banter - View Single Post - Lazy album covers??
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2022, 07:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Yeah, I heard it really got his goat.
^ Good one, TH !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber soul View Post
I think the Pet Sounds album cover was set up by the brains at Capitol Records. Brian Wilson is said not to have been happy with that cover.
I can well believe that, because by the time Pet Sounds came out, other record companies were taking much more care over their cover art, even for fledgling bands, let alone mega-earners like the Beach Boys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Couldn't even be bothered to put a shirt on? Yeah, that's lazy.

Apart from being iconic and everything, this one is pretty lazy really:-

It does a great job of presenting the shock-factor of the words, but in other regards the front was pretty unimaginative, except for the pink banner with the wacky, don't-care script that would become a hallmark of punk. To put this album cover together, at least no-one had to trouble themselves with a photo shoot.

Punk or not punk? This Monty Python cover also makes a point of not caring - or of being inspired, I'm not sure which:-

Lazy in another way were album covers like this, of which, back in the 60s, there seemed to be hundreds, all following the formula: girl+track list:-

Those were albums not recorded by the original artists; some kind of cheapo copyright deal I suppose. Other musicians/orchestra leaders became famous enough for their easy-listening instrumentals that they got promoted up to the next level of album-art formula: girl on beach at sunset+artist's name.