Music Banter - View Single Post - Russia, Ukraine and World War III
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2022, 09:47 PM   #258 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ Yes, I've noticed various posters past and present who make sweeping, unsubstantiated generalizations as if they were acknowledged facts. Probably done it myself many times, as do people irl too. In fairness to jwb, he does actually start with "I believe..." which courteously allows us the option to hold the opposite view without technically contradicting him. However, he does rather blow it with the declaration, "That's Psychology 101".

I thought this was a great description of a certain attitude, Trollheart, and it reminds me of something that, to my surprise, nobody's mentioned yet: as the ghastly events in Ukraine began to unfold, I was reminded of the Roger Waters' album, Amused To Death. This long, cynical rumination about the modern world (and the way that war becomes entertainment) is to my mind RW's masterpiece, more so than The Wall. Thanks to RW's experience with Floyd, and helped along by Jeff Beck's guitar, Amused To Death is that rare thing: a concept album in which the quality of music never flags and in which the concept itself doesn't become some tedious restriction on the songwriting.
Fun fact: marketed as a single cd, Amused To Death is only 10 mins shorter than the double-album Wall. That perhaps is why it seems so packed with attitudes, aspects and ideas, many of which circle around this central question:-
"What does it mean
this tear-jerking scene
beamed into my room?"

Am I the only person to have such a shallow reaction as a humanitarian crisis nudges us closer to WW3 than we have been since the Cuban Missile Crisis?
Oh man I love that album. Just superb and not a single bad track on it. I agree, Waters' best work, even rivals Radio KAOS, and that's a high bar!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Boo View Post
They're really burying the lead there, Madison Cawthorn is not just a GOP lawmaker, he's a GOP lawmaker who is a straight up Neo-Nazi with a record of multiple sexual assaults.

Actually nvm that's pretty bog standard for the GOP at this point.
Oh Christ yes. He's the numbnuts who went on about how great "Christians" like David and Solomon and Jason were. ****ing idiot. As you say, about par, though Cawthorne does make SOME GOP RepublicaNazis look almost acceptable. Not many though.