Music Banter - View Single Post - Red Hot Chili Peppers
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2022, 02:38 PM   #1073 (permalink)
Queen Boo
From beyooond the graaave

Fair enough.

I get why people don't like RHCP, I really do, and honestly I'm not even that big of a fan, I think they've made one great album, one pretty good album that suffers from utter sh*t production and a few ok albums, and I don't f*ck with anything they've done lately.

I think Frusciante's solo stuff is much more consistent and interesting and the fact he still bothers with RHCP when their shtick has run it's course is a waste of his time and talent in my opinion.

Hate RHCP all you want, what gets under my grill is when people try to pretend it's a moral thing, that they're taking a stance against their behavior, but then they still listen to Iggy Pop or Mark Kozelek or Michael Gira or some other abuser who has the hipster seal of approval.

People are very selective about the sh*t they are willing to brush aside when it's an artist they like, and I am definitely guilty of it myself. So I can't be too mad about what other people still choose to listen to when I feel guilty about what I listen to all the freaking time.

Thing is if i were to even attempt abstaining from all the art I love that's come from people who turned out to be pretty bad I would be incredibly miserable, and I think it's safe to say that would go for everybody else unless they really don't care enough about art to develop any attachment to it.

And no RHCP don't make high art or anything, I just think they were at one time a really solid pop/rock band that eventually ran out of ideas and should have called it quits at least 20 years ago, much like Green Day they were a band that was overhyped, overexposed and overstayed their welcome which lead to the backlash they face now, but that backlash has gone from perfectly understandable to comically over the top and downright toxic, where people actually get offended if you like that band and treat it as some great moral or intellectual failing, it's completely bonkers.

It's music people, it's literally noise that we subjectively interpret to mean something, don't get so wound up over things you don't like being popular. I did for a long time and it took me way too long to grow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
A whole bunch of stupid sh*t that I regret

Last edited by Queen Boo; 03-14-2022 at 03:18 PM.
Queen Boo is offline   Reply With Quote