Music Banter - View Single Post - The Dad Advice Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2022, 02:53 AM   #84 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

I'm nearly a complete novice when it comes to carpentry, woodworking and the like. I have some small projects behind me, like a shelf, built a carport with my dad (he drew it, I just sawed and lifted and put screws in things), made a ramp for the lawnmower, etc.

A couple of years ago, I bought a proper saw so I could make a shelf for my daughter's room. The room has a sloped ceiling so it's hard to fit furniture and making some means lots of angular cuts, hence the saw. I wanted a double sided bookshelf walling in a bed so that it's easy to reach books from the bed and you could place a lamp in it etc.

Here's a during and after.

I drew it myself and it's not fancy and even a little crooked, but all in all it's turned out to be a very useful piece of furniture that adds a lot to the room imo (and good luck to the next owners if they want to get rid of it).

The cross-cutting saw (I think you call it) which I bought for this is amazing. I can't quite understand how I got by without one for so many years. I definitely should have had it for the carport.