Music Banter - View Single Post - Keyboard recording trouble
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2022, 05:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

I'm just gonna go out on a limb and guess because I don't know the audio interface, but input 1 sounds like it's probably an XLR input, possibly 1/4 jack combo, for microphones and instruments with passive pickups, typically an electric guitar.

Microphones and electric guitars output miniscule amounts of sound, so these inputs have a preamp in them, boosting the signal typically up to about +60 db max to make those signals audible (outboard preamps can often boost those signals even more).

Your Roland Juno should not go into a preamp like that because the signal doesn't need amplification. Instead, look for a Line in or Aux in on your audio interface. This is an input without a preamp in it. Line in / aux in are typically found on the back of units.

Maybe that helps?

edit:

Okay, so I googled your interface and it may not have line inputs. That seems weird/stupid, but okay.

In that case, there's no right input on the interface for your synth, but if you're gonna go through the preamp, then at least dial the gain knob on the audio interface all the way down. Hopefully, that disables the preamp. Then up the gain / gain stage by increasing the volume out on your synth.

You might at least get a better result (and hopefully won't fry your preamps).

You could also hook up your juno's midi out to your interface's midi in and use it to control a software synthesizer. Probably not what you want, but it's fun.

Last edited by Guybrush; 03-19-2022 at 05:39 PM.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote