Music Banter - View Single Post - Lesser known Prog rock recommendations
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2022, 02:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

I'll plug my buddies in Panzerpappa for the occasion then

They're a norwegian avant-prog band from Oslo who take inspirations from various prog and RIO bands like Univers Zero, Samla Mammas Manna, Hatfield and the North and National Health (check those out too if you haven't, btw). Their music ranges from abrasive and disharmonic to beautiful and serene and their compositions range from complex to less complex, but never quite simple.

They played and recorded with Richard Sinclair back in 2006 and so have a very tenuous Canterbury scene-connection. Aside from a track featuring Richard on vocals (Vintervake) and some other more or less unintelligible shouting, all their music is instrumental.

Here's a song I quite like from their 2012 album Astromalist, Ugler i Moseboka. I especially like the continous build up just after the 2 minute mark.

Me and my daughter like to listen to music together for sleepy times and this song is in our bedtime playlist. It's a very mellow song with some interesting timing (parts that go 7/8 three times, then 6/8 and then another that goes 6/8 three times followed by 5/8 once (guess you might call them 27/8 and 23/8 respectively)).

If you take a listen, check out the gorgeous part where the acoustic guitar part comes back in after 2:30. Sublime!

And since you're interested in new music, here's a little ditty from their latest 2019-album, Summarisk Suite.

Currently, they've been working on a project where they make 99 versions of the same composition, Excercises in Style, which is producing some interesting new sounds from them.

Here's nr. 96 with a very strong country vibe:

Last edited by Guybrush; 03-31-2022 at 02:13 AM.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote