Music Banter - View Single Post - Lesser known Prog rock recommendations
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2022, 10:00 AM   #20 (permalink)
Queen Boo
From beyooond the graaave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
This is why I never got beyond Jester's Tear in Marillion's discography. They sounded so much like Genesis, I got embarassed listening to it. I'm sure the songs are great, but I just found their sound to be a turn-off, especially the singer who sounds like a Peter Gabriel understudy.

I have similar feelings towards modern bands if I feel they're copying the old. I love the first prog rock wave for creating so many new, original sounds and unique bands.
Honestly? I don't think Marillion sounds that much like Genesis, I mean yeah Genesis are clearly an influence but I think they still stand out.

Fish kinda has a similar voice to Gabriel but his style of singing is actually pretty different, I have no problem telling the two apart, Gabriel is more of a crooner while Fish can f*cking wail.

I don't think the rest of the band sounds that much like Genesis either, Rothery's guitar playing style reminds me more of Gilmour and Latimer than it does Hackett or Rutherford. Yes they do have the gated drum sound Collins popularized, but that's the '80s for ya.

I might as well admit it, I actually like Marillion a lot, well Fish era Marillion at least, it's just the right mix of prog bombast and 80s pop gloss and I'm a sucker for both. The Hogarth stuff is ok but I'm not a fan of that guy's wimpy Christian rock singer voice.

Aside from Marillion I don't really care for the neo-prog scene, prog rock will always be a 70s genre to me first and foremost, most prog after that is built on nostalgia rather than really moving the genre forward, not that that's automatically a bad thing, there are good retro prog bands, Anglagard is one of them. But for me a lot of post-70s prog is too tame and conservative and lacking the hooks that the classic prog bands had. If any bands in the 80s and 90s were keeping the adventurous spirit of prog alive it was weirdos like Cardiacs, Ween and Mr Bungle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
A whole bunch of stupid sh*t that I regret

Last edited by Queen Boo; 04-01-2022 at 11:08 AM.
Queen Boo is offline   Reply With Quote