Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Album Club 2022
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2022, 08:27 AM   #149 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

In a post packed with info, this was the statement that stood out to me most:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostasi View Post
In 1972, I wrote a piano work that I had problems trying to realize because what I wanted needed a technology that wasn’t yet available, but I had faith that it would someday come.
To be composing music requiring a technology that hadn't arrived yet is extraordinary!

In contrast to rostasi's, my own review of Program Music I is void of any background info or even rudimentary musical knowledge I'm afraid:

Stella: Starts with random sounds that tell you "expect the unexpected from this music". With the first glitching (copyright: Marie) I was checking for faults in my audio, but then I began to adjust better to what KD was doing. By about 11 mins I was enjoying an exciting bit where the music is really tripping over itself to get out, and then by 15 mins things had calmed down completely: this is the piano/violin section that Marie found disappointing and rostasi, I think, would call "the pretties". Personally I loved it, and was kind of reassured to hear female voices that could've come out of Atom Heart Mother. To me, this whole track has a good balance of easy and more challenging listening.

Write once, run Melos: Coming after such a long track puts this one at a slight disadvantage, but KD does a good job of making it distinctive with its jazzy piano intro. There's a middle section with a lot of violin and glitching during which I couldn't repress the thought, "Oh, just more of the same then". But then halfway through the music gets faster, noisier than anything on Stella. In the last section a repeated piano riff pushes the music along at a furious pace and KD keeps it interesting even as the sounds slow down to a few last isolated plinks of piano.

So, this album keeps growing on me and gets a 9/10, losing a point because, much as I like it, there's always a point in the one-hour running time when I think, "Ya, take it off please!" Also, both tracks have weaker sections that made me think of computer games like Zelda, or of a violinist running to catch their bus home while still trying to finish off the concert.

PS: Glad to hear that you were able to enjoy in this album too, rs.

Last edited by Lisnaholic; 04-04-2022 at 08:51 AM.
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote