Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Album Club 2022
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2022, 09:43 AM   #150 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

I knew I was in trouble when the word "glitch" was bandied about. I'm pretty sure I've heard something else by Daisuke (the name is certainly one you'd remember) and think I liked it, and in general, I'd say yes I like this.

You know there's a but coming don't you?

Here it is.

I feel that the music, lovely as it is, is spoiled (for me anyway) by all this atonal/glitch/dissonant/delete as appropriate nonsense. I just don't see why music like this needs such, um, effects? Embellishments? Whatever: for me, the music stands on its own, and while in fairness, there are not that many "glitches" (not like James ****ing Blake, thank you very much, drove me mad) I would have been happier had it been a cleaner sound. It's certainly beautiful music, but my attention keeps getting distracted by the glitches. To my mind, it's like watching a beautiful sunset or something and someone keeps blasting noisy music, or throwing a ball at you, or shouting at you. Ruins the effect. You try to ignore it, and some of the time you can, but it does get to you.

I realise I'm probably alone in this, but you know me by now: I don't go with the flow usually - I'm normally left behind sitting on the beach going "no I can't swim. I'll just stay here and read." And that's how I think I'll be perceived here: the guy who just "doesn't get it". Well I don't, and I don't mind that I don't.

Right; I see there are only two tracks on it. Well I have to say "Stella", despite its plus-half-hour running length, went in really fast and didn't seem overlong at all. Second track seems to have way too much glitching for my liking, and it sounds already like it might be veering in a jazz direction, none of which inspires me with confidence.

Okay, no, I was wrong there, or so it seems. Settled down into quite an ambient/neoclassical style, and the glitching, by and large, seems to all have been done in the first minute or two, leaving the rest of the track largely untouched. Quite enjoying this now.

Overall, the glitching was not really the barrier to enjoyment of the music I had expected it to be, and I really liked this album. I would imagine I would listen to more.

Rating: 8.5/10