Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Album Club 2022
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2022, 08:23 AM   #184 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Alright, I'm gonna review Trollheart's album next.

Question though:

I know this is the 'Album Club', but would we be averse to being more permissive in our proscriptions for nominations?

Here's my thought: house music. It's rare that you get a flat-out great house album because the genre is so geared towards mixing. Its origins were in the form of live DJ sets (not albums), different records mixed together to get people dancing in clubs. That's where you find the potential of house music unlocked.

The album as a format is supposed to be a unified work that's greater than the sum of its parts, and is demonstrative of the talent of the person or persons who created the album. House mixes are the same - the only difference being that usually, a house mix contains music from people other than just the DJs playing and the songs blend (or mix) into each other. Still, the talent, mood, sound, and flow of the mix is all the responsibility of the DJs at hand, and is reflective of their talent.

So what do ya'll (and Trollheart) think? Would we be okay with allowing that? This thread could use something with a little bop that you could dance to (no offense to y'alls music choices).

In short - I want to nominate a house mix but will relent if y'all would prefer to keep to the holy sanctity of the album format and would consider doing otherwise to be sacrilege.

SGR is offline   Reply With Quote