Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Album Club 2022
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2022, 03:12 PM   #200 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

I hope your laptop problems are behind you, SGR! Your review of Program Music I was worth the wait; a long, detailed review that did something that only the best reviews do - it made me go back and listen to the album again with a new perspective, so thanks for that.

Yes, that piece of calm piano music from Spirited Away could have easily been recorded by Kashiwa Daisuku, on a day when his Electric Glitching Device Box was at the repair shop.

Spoiler for SGR's review:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGR View Post

Program Music I

This is an album that ebbs and flows. It seems to have a practiced sense of dynamism and the attraction of the ear to auditory juxtaposition. What begins calmly builds into the frenetic and slowly moves back where it came. I actually really dig the glitching - in fact, I wish there was more of it - it may have made the album a bit more interesting - replace some of the many slower piano/strings sections with more glitching. The glitching made the music feel more real to me - a similar effect to Low's album HEY WHAT released last year.

I've gone through and listened to this twice and I will admit it did get better on the second listen. It's curious that Lisna mentioned Zelda as something he could see this music in - my mind actually went to Miyazaki's animated movies. In fact, during the album's quieter moments where there's little but the piano, I was reminded strongly of this song in particular:

So, to that extent, there's parts of this album I must admit I really enjoy if it reminds me of Spirited Away's OST. That said, I think it goes on a bit too long - there are times where it seems like the music is about to go somewhere really interesting - like it's building to something greater, and too often it doesn't really get there for me (halfway through track 2 when the piano starts to become more aggressive is a prime example).

I can't lie though - this music does make me feel something. It's not quite longing, it's not quite regret, it's not quite hope, and it's not optimism. Perhaps it's the feeling of life - filled with moments of spontaneity (sometimes forced, sometimes natural), moments of solitude, moments of energy and moments of enervation. Sometimes life moves from one to the other without time for you to catch up and even if it feels like unbridled chaos sometimes, too often we look back and it all makes sense - we wouldn't have traded it for something else even if we could. We make peace with it.

I can't say I've completely made peace with this album, but I might with more time. And I certainly don't regret listening to it. Good pick Lisna!

7/10

I'm ready to nominate another album, but as others have suggested, I'm also happy for a nomination by music_collector to go in front of mine, as he's a newcomer who hasn't had an album of his reviewed yet.

My nom: "Stepmother City" by Sainkho Namtchylak.
I first heard about this album on MB, thanks to a rec from Frownland. It has become a firm favourite of mine since then, but I also have ready someone to blame if people don't like it. Win-Win !