Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2022, 06:07 AM   #23978 (permalink)
jadis
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
You know what, I'll take that as a challenge to find in myself the humanity to relate to his simpler, more humane films. Will start with Secrets and Lies just cause I've already downloaded it and then watch the ones you suggested.
Watched Life Is Sweet and absolutely loved it. It shows that he gets actors to rehearse improvised scenes and characters for months before even writing a script, that's how he gets this pitch perfect tonal precision from the entire cast (of brilliant actors). My favorites were the clinically depressed trial-sized sous-chef, a pretty Felliniesque character that fits perfectly in this world; the daughter who is a depressed and insecure leftist shut-in blurting out buzzwords out of context; Timothy Spall's character, I mean the costume design alone there...

I saw some online reviews complain that Leigh "didn't tie the loose ends" and while I think it's an expectation we should rid ourselves of, it's also spot on in that it drives home how free from screenwriting formulas his scripts are.

Last edited by jadis; 05-06-2022 at 12:17 PM.
jadis is offline   Reply With Quote