Music Banter - View Single Post - POLL: The Smiths vs. R.E.M?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2022, 01:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
uh, no
Now that I think of it, they're better than all Smiths studio albums besides perhaps The Queen is Dead. Can't front on Hatful of Hollow and Louder than Bombs though - even though they're not proper studio albums, they're absolutely excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantic Debaser View Post
Yeah, thanks. The first video you posted shows up as unavailable to me (maybe a regional thing), but also judging by RYM it seems starting with either Murmur or Automatic for the People would be way to go. Figure I'll just start at the beginning and then throw in Automatic... somewhere.

That's interesting about Up too. What aspects of it appeal to you in particular?
It was the first REM record after the departure of drummer Bill Berry. Instead of just replacing him REM decided to take a different approach to their sound. The album is much more steeped in electronics and mood pieces. This album became one of those rare albums for me that would provide real comfort during times of depression or anxiety for me - it just kinda made me relax. It's a very slow and deliberate record - and it is easily the most beautiful sounding R.E.M. record. The band took a similar approach as the Smashing Pumpkins after their drummer bowed out (or was kicked out) - they released their beautiful and wistful electronics steeped Adore the same year (only a few months before) R.E.M. released Up and that record works on a very similar cerebral level that this record does.

Last edited by SGR; 05-09-2022 at 01:47 PM.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote