Music Banter - View Single Post - Twilight Tales from the Outer Limits of the Darkside
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2022, 05:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Analysis:

The Outer Limits: Interesting to see the old stager being last. I was never a complete fan of The Outer Limits (much prefer The Twilight Zone) but even so, I had expected the show would perform better right out of the gate. Mind you, it was a terrible episode, so maybe we won’t be too hard on the series until we see how it does in future battles.

The Twilight Zone: Quite surprised to see this down so far. I wasn’t entirely impressed with the story but I did think the series would have made a better showing. It just shows that sometimes things like innovation and originality, even star power can push an episode higher than it perhaps deserves. I nevertheless expect this show to do better in future.

Tales from the Crypt: And I thought this one would be much lower, as I rated it a lot lower myself, but again as I say in the section above, certain elements were in its favour. We’ll see if this continues to be the case as we go on.

Tales from the Darkside: Very surprised this is so high, as I have never rated this show, but I have to admit, sometimes they come up with gold, and this was one of those times. Held its own better than I had expected. Will it continue to surprise me? Stay tuned.

Black Mirror: No surprise though that this won, the only slight bemusement being in the fact that it didn’t wipe the floor with the competition. I’d almost always expect this show to come top, though if it comes up against some of the classic Twilight Zone episodes it might have a battle on its hands! Oddly though, here the valiant opponent was Tales from the Darkside! Who would have thought?

Margins are not all that huge either. We have 31 plays 45 plays 68 plays 83 plays 104. That’s only 14 points between fifth and fourth, though a larger gap between fourth and third, 23 points, while it’s tighter between third and second, only 15, but still a good 21 points between second and first.

So for now, Black Mirror reigns, but not exactly supreme. Tales from the Darkside is coming up behind it. There’ll be no opportunity for it to get past until the second battle, but I do wonder if Brooker’s show will hold its own after we run section two?