Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Album Club 2022
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2022, 09:23 AM   #232 (permalink)
rubber soul
Call me Mustard

Cristina- sleep it off

Two things I noticed before I even played the album (for the first time). One, the original album has a different tracking order than the 16 track edition. I guess that would be confusing for a purist like me but, ultimately, it comes down to the songs, whatever the tracking order.

Two, wiki seems to compare Cristina to Blondie or Madonna. Now I love Blondie, but I find Madonna a bit, well, pretentious. Plus, the two sounds are significantly different. Maybe the Cristina-Madonna comparisons are more about both being solo artists, and maybe Cristina was on the Madonna like stardom track, perhaps.

Okay, so I play the album and it definitely is much more like Blondie. Frankly, I don’t hear much of Madonna at all. To me, that’s a good thing.

Okay, so the 16 track album starts off with the single, What’s a Girl To Do. Very new wave, sort of like one of those girl bands that were coming out of England circa 1979. An absolutely classic track. I kind of hear a poppier version of Siouxsie on this track. This should have been a big hit.

And the rest of the album continues in this vein. It’s pure pop without falling into the saccharine trap. The Lie of Love has a bit of a calypso feel to it. Definitely feeling Blondie on Quicksand Lovers. Does an awesome cover of Blue Money guaranteeing Van Morrison hater Trollheart will pan the album And anything with a title like Don’t Mutilate My Mink (Bet Madonna never had a song title like that) definitely deserves a listen. Some of the extra tracks aren’t so bad either, though I’d rate Deb Behind Bars a little over Things Fall Apart.

So, yeah, I really like this album. In fact, I’ll go out on a limb and say it’s the best album I’ve heard on the album club so far. Makes me look forward to your next choice, Marie.

9/10 (The Word has spoken )

Last edited by rubber soul; 05-16-2022 at 11:46 AM.
rubber soul is offline   Reply With Quote