Music Banter - View Single Post - The Saturday 6-Pack
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2022, 11:28 AM   #10943 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber soul View Post
I'm not sure I necessarily agree that Caesar (and his successors) was all that benevolent given the history of the Roman Coliseum and all. When I think of "benevolent dictators" the first name to come to mind is Yugoslavia's Tito and, after talking to a Croatian friend whose parents lived under his rule, maybe he wasn't such a sweetie either.
i think i took it more as a hypothetical... I didn't have a specific dictator in mind but in principle if you had the powers of a dictatorship and you used them to pursue let's say a goal we can agree is benevolent... I would favor that over a well meaning but incompetent democracy.

I probably would favor the style of rule of someone like caesar Augustus over let's say joe Biden. Obviously the reason i recognize dictatorship isn't worth it is because it's only one incompetent or evil successor away from being a nightmare scenario. But i do think we vastly overate democracy. Because it's part of our perceived identity and national origins story. And so we have an almost religious like reverence for it.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote