Music Banter - View Single Post - Good taste or just a snob?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2022, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ayn Marx
Music Addict

Default Good taste or just a snob?

My taste in music, until a teenager, was limited to classical music. No other kind was ever heard in our home. I still have a strong recollection being invited to listen to Bill Haley(?) & the Comets performing Rock Around the Clock one day returning from Sunday school. ( No, i’m not a believer). I thought the human race had gone insane making my escape as soon as possible. Now in my 70’s I still find most early white rock & roll a boring dilution of the blues & jazz.
Being a pipe organ student may have warped my perspective which thankfully has been stretched much wider. However, I can still be snobbish even when it comes to classical music much of which I experience as ‘pot boiling’ rubbish. Took me another forty years to learn to appreciate the blues and country & western ( not the Australian variety of C & W which I gives me the horrors)
Punk, Dixieland and most Hollywood musicals (with the exception of West Side Story) I can’t abide.
When it comes to recorded music I find a nasty percentage of todays studio productions ruined by over manipulated digital effects - and don’t get me started on so called auto-tune.
My tolerance for a lot of today’s recordings is probably over sensitive but having been addicted to high end audio since my teens (once referred to as high-fidelity) and being blessed (cursed?) with perfect pitch makes listening to a lot of music over the web via MP3 compression etc at times irksome.
Ayn Marx is offline   Reply With Quote