Music Banter - View Single Post - Good taste or just a snob?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2022, 04:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ayn Marx
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
As of yet I can not ascertain as whether or not you are a " music snob, or have good taste in music." I would need slightly more information on your situation. I need to know what you like, what you don't like and perhaps why. So I post these videos as a test for further assessment and analysis.

Egg - Fugue in D Minor

Sometimes we don’t know why music doesn’t appeal but the example above triggered my immediate negative reaction . “Bastardisation of Bach for morons who need to have the rhythm pointed out or they can’t follow it." Then there’s the hideous tone of that cheap sounding synthesiser, or whatever it is, pretending to be something vaguely like a pipe organ. To my ears more like a toy version of a Hammond organ. The end result is to convert a serious work into something totally trivial.

As to Golden Brown, the use of a harpsichord in a pop song was a breakthrough although the original studio version I feel was much better performed and recorded. And man, oh man, does it make me realise how old I am !

The Stranglers - Golden Brown
I’ve aways enjoyed this somewhat laid back tune. As a geriatric hippie it reminds me of a time many decades ago when we interpreted ‘golden brown’ as refering to a specific kind of hashish we were very fond of.

Last edited by Ayn Marx; 05-16-2022 at 04:09 AM.
Ayn Marx is offline   Reply With Quote