Music Banter - View Single Post - The Saturday 6-Pack
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2022, 09:18 AM   #10998 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
For those of you - most of you - so proud of your drinking though, let me ask you this question: how many lives has rampant non-alcoholism ruined?
Well....there was that whole Hitler thing...

But I get your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Here's a hypothetical. An alien race visits us. They watch us, study us and see how violent we are. After extensive research, they identify our consumption of and obsession with alcohol to the main reason for our violent disposition. They use some sort of mind ray to erase the very idea of alcohol from humanity's minds, while simultaneously destroying all stocks of alcohol. Earth wakes up, having forgotten there ever was such a thing as alcohol. It's not Prohibition, it's just gone and nobody even remembers what it was. Nobody will want or miss it, nobody will be "gasping for a pint" as we no longer even know what that means.

How do you think our society would then progress without drink?
For the subset of drinkers you're talking about - those who drink to excess to the point that they're committing violence - my guess is that unless you fixed the problem(s) that caused these people to drink like that in the first place, they'd just escape their sobriety in different ways than alcohol - if they all simply replaced it with weed, there would surely be less violence - but alcoholism is basically just a symptom of deeper issues - whether that be child abuse/neglect, social atomization (social neglect), psychological issues or even biological factors - I don't think these people would suddenly deal with their issues in a healthy way when alcohol is taken away, they'd simply seek a different kind of escape. We've been beating each other over the heads with clubs and rocks for a long time, without the help of alcohol.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote