Music Banter - View Single Post - The South African Music Thread!
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2022, 04:27 PM   #46 (permalink)
Ayn Marx
Music Addict

"Am I enjoying this moment? I know of it and perhaps that is enough." - Sybille Bedford, 1953
My advancing dementia means I sometimes don’t ‘know’ the moment, let alone getting to ask the question.
QUOTE=Lisnaholic;2205275]Thanks for asking! She was a writer, active from the 50s through to the 80s. Today it's possible that her life is seen as more exciting than her books: she was buffeted around Europe by the Second World War, meeting various famous writers and ending up for a while in California. If, like me, you enjoy a bit of celeb gossip, you might be amused by these details that come from her Wikipedia page:-

My five cents is that Martha Gellhorn's grass-roots journalism makes for better reading today than Sybille Bedford's books, which don't quite shake off the atmosphere of privilege with which she was surrounded. Still, Sybille could come up with a good one-liner, which is why I have that quote of hers: written in her notebook while on a long train journey, isn't it a question that we are all perpetually asking ourselves?[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I’ll track down Martha Gellhorn’s journalism. This far I haven’t dug up a hard copy collection of her articles from the web. Any suggestions?
"- - - - an ex-boyfriend of a former manservant of W. H. Auden” There’s an obscure claim to celebrity.

Last edited by Ayn Marx; 05-19-2022 at 04:33 PM.
Ayn Marx is offline   Reply With Quote