Music Banter - View Single Post - Political Discussions for "Adults"
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2022, 06:41 AM   #9656 (permalink)
jadis
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Well I jerk off to mad anime bitches and I'd give short shrift to a fascist weeb catboy.
*with as little irony as possible given the context* I like the idea of reclaiming beating off to anime characters from the left

What TheBig3 gets wrong, afaic, is the "anime is *intrinsically* fascist" bit. It's what some would call an "essentialist" way of looking at things. Its opposite, the "historicist" outlook, would instead examine how anime came to be associated with a certain set of ideas in the US, what are the economic, cultural, technological, demographic, gender etc etc factors that conditioned this particular reception. I'm sure there are thousands of Tumblr posts making the claim that beating off to anime is an act of liberation from the straightjacket of heteronormative sexuality or something to that effect. How come those voices were "marginalized" and so forth.

An example from a different area: Nietzsche, the guy of the Ubermensch, Blond Beast, slave morality etc etc fame, was claimed as an important precursor by the Nazis - but also (and no less plausibly) by quite a few of the left-wing radicals behind the 1968 student riots, les soixante huitards. There's always more than one story to be told.
jadis is offline   Reply With Quote