Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Album Club 2022
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2022, 09:54 AM   #259 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Okay, so Cristina's Sleep it Off

A new wave album from someone who sounds European but apparently isn't. I've never heard of her - and that's a good thing for an album club.

The first three songs are okay, the standout being "Ticket to the Tropics", but I can't help feeling like I've heard this song before - not the same song mind you, but many songs that sound very similar.

What the **** is up with the abrupt end to "Quicksand Lovers" - it's so jarring, every time I hit it, I think my wifi has stopped working or there's buffering going on - until the next song comes in.

Who the heck is that singing on "Ballad of Immoral Earnings"? Not into that voice at all.

"She Can't Say That Anymore", with its woozy synth intro and whispered refrains and catchy chorus is definitely a highlight.

That sax in "Blue Money", now that's what I'm talking about. This song swings! Cristina's voice is so emotive here.

"Dont Mutilate My Mink" maybe THE highlight - this song rocks and the chorus is syrupy sweet. Is this song against using mink fur for coats - or is it about her not wanting people to mess up her mink coat? A double entendre? Anyways, it's lovely.

Nah, maybe I'm wrong - "Smile" might be my favorite. A beautiful tune! Sounds like The Sundays playing a song with Chrissie Hynde singing. Yeah I love this one - the chorus isn't as as great as "Dont Mutilate My Mink", but the verses are better.

And then there's "Deb Behind Bars" - the weird post punk diddy. And speaking of diddy, I couldn't help but wonder what that intro reminded me of - yknow, the weird synth xylophone (or glockenspiel) parts? Then it hit me - it reminds me of the music of DK64 - this one isn't a perfect comparison - but I swear there's a song on that game that sounds just like 'Deb':

"Things Fall Apart" starts off like a lullaby before it kicks into a Magazine esque stomp with Elastica vocals - very good stuff.

"When U Were Mine" is a nice track - the backing music is better than the vocals though. The music is a glitzy new wave romp. It could've been a hit with a different vocalist. Bad song to end the album proper though.

So yeah, overall, never heard of her before, but this is a nice album. My impressions are based on the expanded CD version - the tracklisting thing confused me. My takes here are qualified with the fact that I might like the original tracklisting better (I probably would) But with the expanded CD version, it doesn't really flow - it sounds more like a hits collection than a proper album - and it's a touch too long for what it is. That's the trade off I suppose, most of the songs are enjoyable or even better new wave earworms, but there doesn't feel like there's much continuity in the album to me. Cristina seems like a dynamic and charismatic presence, and I may check out more from her. *checks RYM* Wait, this was her last album, and she's only got two? Why?! I was expecting to find some collaboration with Gary Numan or something. And she died from COVID complications on 04/01/2020? - that's the worst ****ing joke I've ever heard. Oh well. This album is better than what many artists leave behind.

7/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
update: I checked the spotify version and it's glitch-free so it's just an issue with the youtube upload. I had forgotten all about it, I'm so used to it that it has become part of the song for me, you know how that goes
Do spotify tracks differ by region? On my spotify, Quicksand Lovers still has that weird jarring cut at 03:16. Unless....the end of the version on Youtube is even worse.

Last edited by SGR; 05-27-2022 at 10:15 AM.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote