Music Banter - View Single Post - I freaking love vinyl
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2022, 09:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

The above is true. To get the best out of vinyl you had/have to be an audiophile with deep pockets (or your parents had to have them). I wasn't. Either. I just enjoyed listening to music and it didn't matter to me about registers, basses, trebles, crispness, clarity or any of the other stuff audiophiles talk about. That's great for them, but I was brought up in a house where for a long time our only medium for music was an ancient (even then) radiogramme, which played 78s and sounded like the Sellafield main reactor powering up - the kind of pops that would make you rush to the window thinking someone was setting off fireworks.

My various hifis were all okay but nothing great - Ferguson, Sanyo, Sony - decent racks but nothing mad expensive, in fact one of my early stereo sound systems had to be bought on the never-never (Hire purchase) which meant I paid a certain amount every week to the store until I eventually owned it. At which point, of course, it was well out of date.

So digital music now does me fine. I'm more about the contents of the music than the way it's recorded, which is why quadrophonic stereo remixes etc don't hold any attraction for me, and why I have never missed vinyl since I phased it out in favour of Cds, Minidiscs and then MP3s. And I never will.