Music Banter - View Single Post - I freaking love vinyl
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2022, 09:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Exo
All day jazz and biscuits

Besides what I do for a living...

I'm a record collector.

I've curated my collection down/up to about 1300 records. Most are 1960's/1970's original pressings, predominantly jazz and avant-garde, but I'd say 25% is made up of newer pressings and non jazz related stuff. I got Talk Talk record. This Heat records. Kayo Dot records. Black Midi. Grizzly Bear. The f*cking Adventure Time boxset.

I collect these things. I get more enjoyment out of the collecting aspect than I do the listening. I don't say things like "vinyl is warmer". No it f*cking isn't. 75% of my listening is done digitally. I dedicate a lot of time "exploring" and finding new sounds. If I really like something, I look for the record to kind of have a keepsake of that find in physical form.

There are labels I collect too. I have a fairly impressive Folkways collection. No Pete Seeger bullsh*t. Most I collect field recordings and early electronic and ethniographic stuff. I have about 30 classical records of various pieces I like. I have a small section of weird or bizarre album covers.

I am constantly pruning and adding and subtracting. I sold something I found in the thriftstore for $1 on eBay for $1500 and bought some expensive records I've always wanted. I upgrade certain records. I adopt a few things and give em away at a later date. Lately it's all been about shelf space. I have been trimming the collection down as cool things come into the shop that I can't pass up.

That's where my vinyl interests are. I of course listen to my records. I try to find things in good shape just as one would try to find anything in good shape. I don't get mad at my records for being hissy at times. That's just how they are. I'm just glad they exist and that I have a copy.

I have a nice copy of John and Alice Coltrane's Cosmic Music, original pressing, and it has some pops. It's a f*cking rare ass record though so I don't really care. It's existence is the special part.

SUPREME POO BAH MODERATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote