Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2022, 11:22 PM   #77260 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I don't know if you think I do, but I certainly don't see myself as the forum's saviour (bow down before me, mortals!) - I'm quite aware that 98% of members don't read or care about my journals, the other 1% is probably asleep too. But for ME, this forum is not dead because I'm actively participating in it. You may say sure, you're writing journals nobody reads, and maybe that's so. But I always invite comment and participation; not my fault if nobody wishes to engage.

The point is that when I see a slump here I do what I can to kick some interest into the forum, whether that's opening another (doomed) thread, resurrecting an old idea (like the Album Club), something Gigantic Debaser and Tristan are trying with the Rock Album Survivor thread, or do my best to get discussions going. I don't think I've ever said this place is dead, because to me it isn't; I do what I can to keep it going.

So what I'm saying is that, sure, my journals and "excessive writings" may not solve anyone's problem, and they may be destined to remain unread till the planet turns to a cold ice ball or something, but if you think the place is dead then surely it's better to TRY to do something about it rather than just bitch? It's so easy to moan, not so easy to do anything about it. I really don't care all that much whether elphenor or jwb contribute, but if they don't they really have no right to be saying the place is dead. It's dead, maybe, cos people like them aren't taking part. Is this not like someone who joins a club and never takes part in any activities going into a deserted clubhouse and saying hey this place is dead?

Anyway, I'm off to 13th century Venice. Lots to do. Carry on.
so when you notice a slump you journal more which as you noted doesn't necessarily lead to engagement

Where as when i or in this case elph say off handedly that the forum is dead it sparks at the very least several pages of heated engagement, which admittedly is thanks largely to you. So you tell me which method is more effective?
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote