Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Album Club 2022
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2022, 05:10 PM   #273 (permalink)
music_collector
Music Addict

Hi everyone.

I did grow up with this album. I would have been 24 when it was released. Matt is three years older than me. That's maybe why I hold it in such high regard. Maybe it's a generational thing.

It's true that the band (and now just Matt, as the band broke up after the follow up album), they were huge in Canada but nowhere else (maybe in the UK, I don't know). This happens to too many bands here. I don't know why that is. I'm not complaining, as it means they tour my neck of the woods more often as a result. Two prime examples would be the Tragically Hip and the Tea Party, though Tea Party is huge in Australia from what I'm told.

Sadly, depending on your point of view, our known exports pale in comparison to all of the bands we produce - Weeknd (I call him "weakened" - call Pat Sajak and buy a vowel!), Drake, Bieber are supposed to represent us.

I don't hear the Pearl Jam comparisons, but that's ok. It's fair to say that a lot of the music in the 90s sounded derivative and blurry.

Matt has most certainly matured over the years. His solo stuff is different than what was done with the full band. He toured often alone, doing mainly acoustic sets.

My favourite track is Jenni's Song. During the time of the band, he wrote what he called manifestos on his web site. They were usually short stories. One of the stories formed the background of this song. I suspect the story has some truth to it. Reading the story, I could relate instantly.

Thanks for listening, and the honesty.

This is fun. There is so much good stuff out there that I haven't heard before!
music_collector is offline   Reply With Quote