Music Banter - View Single Post - The American Presidents
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2022, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

I agree, and also disagree. Look at the situation in Colombia in the 1980s (yes, I've been watching Narcos, what of it?) - even the president couldn't order the attorney general not to do something; he was totally independent of executive power. If you have officials not under the president's control, you have a potential recipe for anarchy, or at the least a sort of "shadow government" that works either despite, or even in opposition to, the president.

I personally feel any candidate should have to have served some sort of political post. The idea of, say, Elon Musk, or even Kanye, being able to stand is, to me, nonsense, though it's the same here. Mind you, the post of president here is nothing but a well-paid cushy job, with a few appearances, speeches and being woken first thing the afternoon to sign something, then nodding back off. But when you're going for the job which is essentially that of the most powerful person in the world, I think a few qualifications should be mandatory, and they should not include how rich you are, or how well-connected, or what incriminating photographs you have.

It's always amazed me that, as long as you have the money and get the backing, anyone can run. I know this is "government for the people by the people etc" but surely the man, or woman, or small blue furry thing from Alpha Centauri who is going to run the country should, you know, know a thing or two about running the country?