Music Banter - View Single Post - The Saturday 6-Pack
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2022, 09:14 AM   #11197 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
It's really not much of a hassle these days. Connecting to printers can be annoying, and of course you won't be able to use some software (e.g., Adobe), but by and large the more mainstream (by which I really mean Ubuntu-based, I guess) distributions "just work".
But you do have "learn" it, or, more to the point, sort of "unlearn" Windows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGR View Post
It's a myth that Linux/Unix can't get viruses - it can, it's just less likely for a number of reasons.

But still, as you mentioned, Linux is not much of a hassle these days, but some basic sysadmin knowledge really helps. Things tend to just "work" nowadays, but when they don't, figuring out why is not always simple if you're not familiar with Linux and don't know how to use a command line efficiently.

For anyone who is interested in possibly using Linux as a primary driver for their computer, I recommend people get virtual box on your Windows/Mac - grab a Linux ISO (CentOS is my bread and butter as I'm more invested in the RedHat derivations), install a virtual machine with it, and use it and see how it functions.

There's also always the possibility of dual-installs/dual-boots so that you can use Windows or Linux on the same machine.
This is the kind of stuff that scares me/puts me off. As a small comedy actor once famously said, whatchoo talkin' bout?