Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Album Club 2022
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2022, 11:27 AM   #308 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

I saw Trollheart's comment that mentioned free jazz - so I went into this expecting free jazz. Free jazz is most certainly not what I got.

This is like...uhhh....trip hop with the addition of tuvan throat singing and some non-traditional (to trip hop) instruments. I gotta say, I don't think I've ever heard anything quite like this before. And even in the moments that were jarring and discordant (Lonely Soul being a standout in that department, with the lead singer sounding like a dying bird on parts of the track), I couldn't help but keep listening. This album is quite compelling.

The album is filled with so many different textures, moods, and sounds that it really is a joy to listen to - I think I've listened about 3 times now and will continue to listen to it. Besides some of the harsher singing, it's actually a very approchable album too. I wouldn't exactly call it easy listening, but despite my joke about scaring customers away, I could see many people enjoying different parts of this album.

I don't know what she's on about in terms of the lyrics, I don't even know how to describe what's going on half the time, but the range of what you get here is excellent - jazz meets trip-hop meets funk meets tuvan throat singing - this thing vibes!

This is perhaps the most unique album I've heard in the MB Album Club thus far, so to Lisna, I say: "An excellent pick!"

I think I'd give this an 8/10, and I plan to listen again in the future for sure.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote