Music Banter - View Single Post - Bitesize: Trollheart's Daily Album Mini-Reviews
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2022, 02:06 PM   #336 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Well would you look at what I found hiding down on page 9 when I went looking for the Classic Albums journal? All lonely and cold, and thinking it had been forgotten about. Which it had. Been half a decade since I did any work on this, too, so perhaps time to shoot 10,000 volts into it and - what? That would kill it, you say? Well maybe just a bucket of cold water...

Even better, I found out that I've written a fistful of reviews for this already, way back in 2017, which I haven't yet posted, so there's a ready-made body of work waiting to be unleashed.

Let's do some unleashing.

Note: Cookie rating (Bitesize, y'see? No? Sod ya then) has been moved to the end of the review now, whereas before it was always before it. I feel this obviously gave the game away; you could see before you even read the review how I felt about the album. Now you'll have to wait.

Note on colour codes:
Red = Truly hated this track. Nothing to redeem it. Would not listen to it again.
White = Characterised as Meh in the thread, this can be a song which either I was not very impressed with but did not quite hate, or that I have not yet made my mind up about. It can also be one that made so little impression on me that I can't really say whether it was any good or not.
Orange = A track I liked but did not love
Green = A track I loved
Blue = A track I am absolutely wild about.

Artist: Secret Saucer
Nationality: British
Album: Element 115
Year: 2005
Label: Dead Earnest
Genre: Space Rock/Progressive Rock
Tracks:
Star rise
Sword of Conneaut
Solar winds
STS-107
Atom smasher
The Traveller
Duul
Desert of existence
Astral progeny
Looking skyward
AMBQSM
Beyond time

Chronological position: Debut album
Familiarity: Zero
Initial impression: Oh great. Another instrumental album.
Comments: It's pretty damn cool, but I went out of my way not to get another post-rock album, and while this isn't that, it's all bloody instrumental. D'oh! Good instrumental, though. D'oh. I imagine this would be very good music to trip to, but for me it's just relaxing and soothing. Can't say much more than that. Maybe I don't need to. Solid.
Hum Factor: 0
Intention: I wouldn't be rushing to hear more, but I wouldn't say I would not check out further albums either.