Music Banter - View Single Post - The queer corner
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2022, 01:47 AM   #1379 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayn Marx View Post
One of the mysteries of the male heterosexual so called mind is how, given the right circumstances, they can efficiently produce an erection at the sight of another male’s rear.
Another mystery is how this branch of our species are so frequently ignorant of the erotic potential of their own prostate glands.
Add to this the rigidly repressed history of male/male sexuality during wartime and we have more contradictions than drag queens often taking an active role.

We are indeed a very strange species.
I realize you may not actually think it's a mystery and it's just interesting writing/hyperbole, but I've anyways opted to take your statement at face value and reply accordingly.

So to me, what you describe about enticing same-sex rears is not a mystery. We're social mammals and there's nothing in our biology that says males shouldn't have sex with other males, like homosexuality in so many other social mammals (like the famous giraffes where most of a male's sexual encounters are homosexual in nature). From a biology point of view, it seems reasonable to think that sexual relations between men would be promoted in many situations because it could strengthen bonds, promote cooperation (our specialty) and generally help satisfy various needs. I actually get the impression that males are more likely to be sexually compatible with other males (in terms of wants/desires, etc) than with women. As you point out, there's even a prostate gland that enjoys attention. In my opinion - in the absence of any culture/conditioning that says otherwise, the thought or act of homosexual activity should be expected to, by far, potentially turn most men on.

Heterosexuality is just a human concept. It's not written in our DNA and when fantasy meets reality, parts of fantasy can melt away. Our sexuality, if you look at sexuality under intense scrutiny, doesn't actually fit into these neat categories. Generally speaking for heterosexuals, there are potential situations where they'd enjoy homosexual activities or possibly even romantic relationships with other same-sex individuals. Maybe, if society was different, they would.

If I'm to use society's general descriptors for myself, then I am a heterosexual man. I've never been in love with another man and 99% of my fantasies are about women. However, there are a very few men I've found attractive and I assume part of those 99% can be explained by society's conditioning. I have actually had a couple of homosexual encounters that were enjoyable for me. If I was free to do so, I wouldn't mind exploring that more with the right partner.

I don't think that's the norm, so what might set me apart from perhaps most other heterosexual guys is I think of sexuality as very rough descriptors and don't internalize it into my own identity. I am not homophobic, am fairly liberal and want to have enjoyable experiences. So I don't think I'm different in a fundamental way from most heterosexual guys, I just have a different way of thinking about it.

What I think is most mysterious or interesting is why we create memes (as in moral codes, religious commands, beliefs) that control various aspects of our lives in seemingly detrimental ways, especially when it comes to sexuality. I have some inklings and one is that things that control our most basic urges seem powerful and feel important to us, like celibacy or perhaps fasting. These memes compete against other memes (gay is wrong / gay is okay are general competing memes), but for some reason the bad ones sometimes get ahead in competition with more tolerant ideas. I find that to be a very fascinating topic in general.

Last edited by Guybrush; 06-23-2022 at 02:38 AM.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote