Music Banter - View Single Post - Playing Catch-up
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2022, 01:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

Default Playing Catch-up

Hello everyone!

Basically, the story is that when I first joined up here, I listened to a ton of music, got it in by the bucketload, and all was well.

Then, 8 or 9 years ago I just kinda...stopped. To be brutally honest with myself, most of the 2010s is kind of a lost decade for me and all the biggest tunes, albums and whatnot.

And here's where I'm going to go about slowly fixing that. Every time I update this thread, I'll post a tune I've discovered that was released sometime within the last...ooh, let's say 10 years. It might be blindingly obvious and cliche to you reading this, but as someone who fell off the wagon about a decade ago, it'll be new to me, ergo worth writing a few sentences about! It might be good, it might be mediocre, it might be the best or the worst thing I've ever heard - I'll still write a little about it.

And, if any of you feel like helping me out, recommend me a tune that was released sometime in the last 10 years. Anything at all. I don't care what genre, if you're not sure I'll like it or whatever. As long as it's on YouTube so I can post a video here, then I'll listen to it and write a few sentences on it.

Until then, here's an old favourite of mine as an example of how I'll be doing this.

Cuong Vu
It's Mostly Residual

Not quite as good as the studio version, as it lacks Bill Frisell's guitar which really makes the original possibly one of my favourite pieces of music ever. Definitely in my top 5-10 album openers, at least. I just love it when subtleties in sound and style all come together to create something wonderful, you know? And that drumming...bloody hell
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote