Music Banter - View Single Post - Playing Catch-up
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2022, 05:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

I'm very much in the same boat. My 2010s was the decade when I really started my career, moved twice, became a parent, etc. A lot of stuff happened, but music listening and discovery was at an all time low.

A few releases / songs I've really enjoyed from the 2010s (all posted previously elsewhere here) are as follows:

Karen Mantler

She wrote something about the crushing reality of her 2001 album Pet Projects commercially failing having forced her to become a waitress in New York or something. I thought it was over. Then she suddenly released a little gem of an album in 2014 called Business is Bad. Life is still hard for Karen, but her little trio sounds great and a couple of the songs are brilliant.

These are songs me and my wife sing along to in the car these days.

I taught myself Surviving You on piano and occasionally like to play it at home.

Aksak Maboul

Before this, their latest album was like back in 1981 or so. Suddenly, also in 2014 I think, we get a new (!) album from Aksak Maboul, Ex-Futur, now with the singer Veronique Vincent. I liked their early stuff okay, but I've been raving about their new stuff. I'm sure people are getting fed up with me, but whatever. It's great. Here are my two favourite tracks from that album.

They have since released yet another album, Figures from 2021. The song Silhouettes is my favourite from that one.

Snarky Puppy

I guess 2014 was a good year for music and me because it was also the year I discovered Snarky Puppy after they released We Like it Here. I guess you know them? Check them out

Misc

I just looked at my exotica / jazz thread from last year and I had posted this gem there.. I do think it's wonderful, so why not repost it here

edit:

By the way, thanks for your own rec, Bulldog I'm really enjoying that track you posted. Found the album and the version with Bill Frisell <3

Last edited by Guybrush; 07-01-2022 at 06:18 AM.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote