Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2022, 01:53 PM   #24057 (permalink)
jadis
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
Yeah the problem is that I read somewhere Leigh put the (other) antagonist in the movie to make a contrast with Thewlis' character which is confusing since they are essentially both sadists and rapists. It sort of hinted in the direction that maybe the main character isn't "as bad" as the other guy, is somehow worth saving (but refuses to), maybe based on a rather different concept of consent from 30 years ago. Maybe...

But anyway. I will be revisiting some of his other films of the era. I think he peaked with All or nothing but I liked Another year also.
I'd put the emphases differently: the other guy is the very embodiment of the spirit of Thatcherism with its nihilism and cruelty, Johnny is one of those who are left out by Thatcherism, one of society's "superfluous men". And yet, in his own way Johnny is as violent, callous and apathetic as the successful capitalist: he doesn't get to be "outside" or "above" the drives and impulses a given society inculcates in men just because he doesn't fit in.

Given that the opening scene of the film is a literal rape, I don't see how the line between consent and non-consent is in any way blurred.
jadis is offline   Reply With Quote