Music Banter - View Single Post - Playing Catch-up
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2022, 02:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

Sorry it's taken me so long getting back here, everyone! I think it's safe to assume that I'm most likely to post on weekends here. I've been putting some videos together, planning some holidays, finally put the finishing touches on this project I've been working on for 6 months, I'm teaching myself Romanian and Hungarian - you name it and it's on my plate

Not that I'm complaining, of course. I'd rather be pushing myself like this than doing nothing at all!

Please do keep the videos coming, people. I'm loving seeing all these when I finally get the chance to jump back online for a while!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
Thanks for your response, Bulldog

Yeah, that self-conscious, self-deprecating vibe is something I can relate to all too well. There's plenty of stuff I've made which a lot of the time I'm just so nervous about putting it out into the world however I can. You kinda look at your competition, start measuring your work against everyone else's, it's not a fun road to travel! You're spot on though, it does make her particularly endearing when you have that in mind.

Of course, some of it may well be an act to whatever degree. After all, putting yourself and your work out there into such a fiercely competitive market, you've got to do whatever you can to make yourself look as unique as possible. At least, that's what I think anyway.

The Robert Wyatt link definitely makes my ears prick up a little bit. Apart from knowing him for a bunch of his solo work (I think I've got his album Schleep on one of my hard drives somewhere), Elvis Costello wrote the song Shipbuilding for him. And the version that Wyatt recorded was one of David Bowie's favourite ever songs (on one of those rare occasions where he'd talk about such things).

That Modern Lesson track is pretty nuts, by the way. I'm no expert on this kinda music and I honestly never was (I remember back in the day when I was more regular, you'd be lucky to get 4 or 5 new posts in the Jazz forum here in a week), but I've always wanted to dive into more. For me, it's the kinda thing you have to just get a hook into and sort of watch unfold before you, if that makes sense? This more avante garde jazz sstyle for me is more about the colours and shapes you envision as you listen as opposed to identifying with a hook or a melody, at least for me. I may well be talking rubbish here!

And that Femina track is gorgeous as well. I used to have quite a bit of music like that. I may even have put one of them in that favourite albums thread I made - Bebel Gilberto was her name. I haven't listened to her for years though (like a lot of things!). Clearly, there's some sort of link in influence there. Thanks for the recommendation.

I mean, thanks for all the recommendations, keep them coming if you like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Don't know if this would just sneak in under the wire (2013) but worth listening to, I think.
Hey dude, thanks for dropping in

I like the John Grant track. Around 44/55 seconds, that's where I first heard this strange, distorted guitar type sound that kept popping up through the rest of the mix. Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm going insane from sitting too close to the TV, I don't know, but I liked it. I wasn't crazy about the lad's voice, but there's some very interesting layered sounds and textures going on. Good track, I'll check some more of his out.

I thought Tennessee was a decent little track. I heard a little Rufus Wainwright in that earnest, powerful kinda vocal delivery, which is no bad thing of course. Again, maybe it was just me.

Kudos for bringing up Kasey Chambers. Her first two albums - The Captain and Barricades & Brick Walls - are a couple of favourites of mine that still get some airtime to this day.

Eisley didn't really do it for me I'm afraid. I didn't hate it, it's just personally not my cuppa tea.

But hey, send some more my way in this thread if you like. I'm hungry for some new sounds, and it's feeding time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Hi! Nice thread idea, and welcome back to the forum Here are some recent punk-ish things I like:
Thanks, it's good to be back

Put the words 'post' and 'punk' into a sentence, and I'm there. Dry Cleaning was a great start, sounded a little Gang Of Four-esque, loved that chaotic rhythm. It reminded me a little of something I'd hear on the Return Of the Living Dead soundtrack, for some reason. I say for some reason, as that soundtrack's basically a love letter to first wave 1970s punk rock, so not post-punk in the slightest. Something about this one though that reminds of that movie though, all the same. And it's one of my favourite films ever, so kudos

What's next...Uranium Club? Instantly getting some very Beefheart vibes from this opening guitar. That bass sounds like something the Birthday Party would have come up with. And I don't know what that distorted synth thing's going for, but it sounds odd, so I like it. And now it's picking up speed...and here come the vocals! I'm getting some Joy Division/James Chance/Beefheart vibes from this overall. Great track, I loved it. Re Joy Division, it reminds me a lot of Dead Souls in how half it's this really great instrumental where on your first playthrough you're thinking "this really doesn't need vocals", but then said vocals come along, and whaddya know - it's perfect!

I can't remember who did the song, but there's that tune Warm Leatherette, which was a DIY indie smash back in the late 70s (I think...again, I'm hazy on the details), which was one of a wave of Rough Trade singles which were literally recorded in people's bedrooms and garages. Again, a totally different kind of song, but the vibe is similar. Rustic, lo-fi, down-to-earth...all pulled together by someone who's obviously really smart behind the mixing console.

I loved these ones, thanks so much for them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
To quote a great Bjork song, the pleasure is all mine!

The Tirzah song was written by Mica Levy for her friend (lover?), so you could say the real rabbit hole to go down is Micachu. Been a huge fan ever since hearing this on Bjork's YT channel 12 years ago. Her soundtrack for Under the Skin is fantastic too.
Ah, Under the Skin is a beast of movie! I saw that in the cinema on release, thought "what the hell was that", couldn't really stop thinking about it, and BOOM - watched it a second time and absolutely loved it. It stands to reason that Micachu's music is just as oddball and unique as that movie itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_collector View Post
I can relate. I had twins in the 2010s. Thankfully, as they got older, I was able to get back into listening, as well as enjoying, albums. Since the past year and a half, I've made up for lost time. I'm buying CDs like they're going out of style. I've come to places like this and discovered all kinds of new bands (well, new to me).
Well, it may be over a decade late, but congratulations on the twins And you'll find a ton of great stuff on here, if it's anything like it was when I was regular back in sort of 2008-2010 (I mean, Christ, those years feel like I spent them on a different planet now).

Maybe you'll find some good stuff in this here thread too, you never know!
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote