Music Banter - View Single Post - The Contingency Plan/Exit Strategy
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2022, 12:08 AM   #82 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

TH, I appreciate the offer. However, when I check freeforums.net, I get the impression TheCraic and other freeforums can't be exported. It's a feature of the paid service that they also serve on forums.net, but not part of the free package.

I realize it's a boring issue to have to deal with when you've already been working on it, but I do feel like for yourself and for the community, the best solution is probably to get a webhost and domain, have a couple of us who can log into that and then set up a forum on that site with forum software that we ourselves can host.

It'll cost a bit of money, but not that much and I don't mind helping out financially and otherwise. Others will probably also want to chip in. It'll be exportable so that the whole forum can be shared among us and set up in new locations.

I have done this on several occasions, so I have the know-how. However, I don't wanna take over your forum plans. I may be better as a consultant. Can I persuade you (and everyone else) to consider something like the following?

• Ask / poll the community here what they might want a new site to be (domain name like busicmanter.com or musicquips.com or whatever)
  • Register that domain on a webhost like one.com or hostgator
  • Install a webpage on the webhost / domain and then a forum at forum.ourdomain.com (I can help with this)
  • Set up a suggestion for rules that include stuff like:
    • what and how decisions should be put to a poll
    • Moderators today will be mods on the new site
    • Backups should f.ex. be made available after new years every year and anyways before dissolution.
    • Because there might also be some funding involved, lets also have a policy of transparency and reporting back to the community about running costs and incomes if we use a patreon or set up an MB paypal or something.
    • How admins and moderators should be chosen / elected
    • This may be just me, but I think we should also set up some community sanctioned goals for what we want MB to be to guide moderation and further development
  • With the whole solution in place, ask the MB community for input for eventual tweaks
  • When it's good enough, ask the community go through with a move and possibly set a date for the occasion

If we want everyone on board, then it's important that everyone gets a say in it and we need some structures in place to ensure fairness, accountability, etc.

Last edited by Guybrush; 07-15-2022 at 12:14 AM.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote