Music Banter - View Single Post - The Contingency Plan/Exit Strategy
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2022, 10:22 AM   #110 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
Just my additional 2¢: What has been slowly killing MB over a very long period of time in my opinion is not the lack of special features (although those would be nice) but an ongoing mean-spiritedness between posters and toward newcomers (actually not nearly as bad now as it used to be, but it's there and it goes unchecked). It's been cancerous to this forum and over time has caused its decline.
I get what you're saying and perhaps there's some truth to it, but to me that characteristic of the 'banter' here is part of what makes us....us.

I think people here certainly have different ideas of where lines should be drawn, but I've seen the mods step in many times when lines are crossed (Hawk, Anteater, any times slurs are used, etc). I wouldn't want a MusicBanter where jwb and Batty aren't calling each other "bitch" in their replies to each other. Or where passive aggressive remarks aren't made to newcomers who spam dumb threads in the wrong sub-forum. It wouldn't be the same. And like you said, I think the level of 'mean-spiritedness' is much less now than it was in 2010.

Forums like this are mostly a dying breed. The way people communicate on the internet about this stuff has been siloed alot by social media alternatives that we simply can't compete with in terms of popularity (Reddit, Twitter, etc). There are some forums that have proven to be hold-outs, but most of them have had a history that predates these social media alternatives and many focus on a niche interest. More niche than just music discussion, I suppose.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote