Music Banter - View Single Post - I Heard It Through The Bookvine
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2022, 04:00 PM   #42 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

^ Yes, nice song, Pet Sounds. I particularly liked the acoustic guitar interlude at 1:50 seconds. I read Márquez's novel, but so long ago that I can't help in tracing influences from novel to song I'm afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayn Marx View Post
There’s a difference between noise meaning volume and noise meaning distortion.
The distorted noise often swamping heavy metal has a big market, usually teenagers who delight in locking themselves into their bedroom, turning up the volume on their crappy ghetto blasters and sandpapering mummy and daddies eardrums.
However, heavy metal doesn’t always need to be a form of aural torture. Some of the most powerful political criticism of where our species has placed itself can be heard in heavy metal. Shame most of todays classical music has no similar political message.
I guess "noise" is a word with several nuances of meaning, Ayn. I wasn't using the word to mean volume, which was obviously mine to control. I wasn't particularly referring to distortion, which I am often quite fond of. I suppose by "noisy" I meant: I can't enjoy this because there are too many instruments playing too fast simultaneously. If there's a better word for that feeling, I'm open to suggestions.

Anyway, thanks to you both for contributing to a thread that doesn't get much attention.