Music Banter - View Single Post - I Heard It Through The Bookvine
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2022, 04:42 PM   #43 (permalink)
Ayn Marx
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Anyway, thanks to you both for contributing to a thread that doesn't get much attention.
Thanks for the explanation. Often these things are very hard to describe with one word. As to my contribution I’m often annoyed with my fellow classical music lovers who refuse to see how serious a lot of metal is. There are far too many classical music lovers whose approach to music is a form of hiding from the real world. Odd, given there’s a long standing tradition, especially in Italian opera, of serious political criticism just below the surface.
Enough, I’m turning into a grumpy geriatric.

It’s just occurred to me there’s a real problem with a lot of live rock/metal/etc bands. Often each musician has their own feedback speaker aimed just at themselves. The irony is this started so musicians could hear themselves over the extreme volume of the entire group. Often the sad result is individuals have little clear idea of what the rest of the band is up to. How many times have we witnessed at live gigs one player waving at the sound mixer to up the volume of their own feedback speakers?
Interestingly very few live jazz performances suffer from the same problem.

Last edited by Ayn Marx; 07-18-2022 at 04:51 PM.
Ayn Marx is offline   Reply With Quote